Sunday, March 18, 2012

On Going Dairy Free

As most of you know, my last two children have dairy and soy protein intolerance. Little did I know that once you have a child with such an intolerance, subsequent children have a very high likelihood of also being intolerant. I really, really want to breastfeed this new baby. So, I have made the decision to go dairy-free before the baby is born. I am 18 weeks right now and my goal is to be completely dairy-free by 20 weeks. I want to be good at not eating dairy long before those sleepless nights arrive and I am in a fog.

So I have been tweaking recipes, searching for new recipes and searching for dairy substitutes that are not yucky. This morning, I made Dutch Apple Bread. The recipe is filled with dairy. So I started making changes as I added ingredients to the bowl. It turned out delicious! Everyone agreed.

Here is the dairy-free version:

Dutch Apple Bread

1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup applesauce
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla

Cream together these ingredients, then add:

2 cups flour (I used 1 cup white and 1 cup whole wheat) I also added a couple of Tbsp. of flax meal.
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 cup rice milk with a couple of drops of lemon juice to make it slightly like buttermilk

Mix all of this into the oil mixture.

1 cup chopped apple (I think next time I would add a little more)
1/3 cup chopped pecans

Stir these into the batter and pour into bread pan.

Crumb topping:

1/3 cup flour
2 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
3 Tbsp. coconut oil

Mix and sprinkle on top of bread. Bake at 350 degrees for 55 minutes. Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. Jenny, do you make your own rice milk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never made my own rice milk, but now I may just have to try!

      Delete
  2. Good for you Jenny!!


    I'm gluten free for Simeon and it's hard, but not as hard as I thought. I can't imagine giving up dairy--I eat a lot of yogurt!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember going dairy free a few years ago. I remember that it was difficult at first, but you adapt because you are a mom and that is what moms do. I had to go grain free with my last (a long story), and we are doing fine now. You will make it.

    Coconut milk makes a great cream or milk substitute in soups. You can even whip full fat coconut milk like you would cream if it is chilled really well. I use almond milk in baking and that works for us. Good luck and God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the coconut milk suggestion! I will gladly take all the suggestions I can get.

      Delete
  4. Yay!! Good job on tweaking the recipe! Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked my mail last night, right before going to bed, and it was such a happy thing to see all those comments from you! Thanks!

      Delete