Skip to main content

A Story

 


I struggled into consciousness as the alarm interrupted my sleep. The darkness outside makes it considerable hard to leave the warm, cozy bed. I wander toward the kitchen, feeling more than seeing my way, to start the coffee that will hopefully bring my brain to functioning capacity. Somewhere in my hazy thoughts, I remember I have a plan for this day. Not big plans, mind you, just school, laundry, and a few odds and ends that need doing. The sun is doing its best to dispel the dark as I sip coffee in my comfy blue chair. The cat, as is part of her routine, beckons me to the back door, where I see that the fire pit that was full of water is now full of ice. I mentally move "morning walk" to "afternoon walk." It is not long before the children are awake and noticing that ice themselves. Unlike me, they brave the cold with nary a jacket to place a Lego minifigure, fitted with ice skates onto the surface of the ice. Their enthusiasm takes them to the edge of the lake, where they hoped to find more ice. Not yet, and hopefully never, my people. Then the rush of voices, all talking together, come rushing into the house. There is a goose that is injured by the edge of the lake. I pull on my hat, coat, and shoes and venture out to investigate. The poor creature is sitting by the lake. As I creep closer, I talk softly to it, and hold out my hand. A feeble hiss escapes its beak, and then it lowers its head and I gently pet the creature. The goose does not flinch or move, he just lets me caress his soft neck. A new plan for the day has come into being. We get the cat carrier from the attic and I carefully lifted the goose from its resting spot into the carrier. Jack, Therese, and I drove the goose to the wildlife rescue here in Columbia. And that is where the story must pause for now. I pray that they can heal and rehabilitate the goose. Meanwhile, little school was completed, laundry piles are lingering in the hallway, and those odds and ends must wait for another sunrise. I am reminded that often my plans are not what God has in mind for me. I must be open to His plans, and bend my neck, just like that goose.











Comments

  1. Such a timely story. May we all be as flexible and do it south such grace as you. Thank you, I needed this story today. It had been a rough week and a reminder that I am not in charge and God's will be done is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Door Table

Once there was a store in Georgia. It is no more, but how I wish it was. I likened going in there to treasure hunting. One never knew what was going to be in there, and you had to dig through and wade through all the "other people's treasures" to find your own. I once found a set of blue and white teacups and saucers from England. I found lace handkerchiefs, a rocking chair, and an end table. But by far the best find was my kitchen table. I had stopped by one day while the kids were taking horseback lessons and the then little ones were asleep. The store was not open, but I went up to the window to see if anything new was there. And it was there. The table. And six chairs too! We were in need of a bigger table with Jack on the way. My mom had offered to give us her old one, which I was going to accept if I didn't find something I liked better. I didn't want anyone else to even see the table because I knew it was supposed to be ours, but one can never tell abo

Fog and faith

 I stepped out into the coolness of the November morning to start the car and defog the windows, preparing to take Jack to school. Daylight had yet to appear. As we drove the many miles, the sky lightened, and we could see the mist hanging out just above the grass. We usually listen to a story together on our drive, adding commentary, exchanging a knowing glance or a shocked expression as the twists and turns unfold. I relish this time with Jack. I know that all too soon he will be preparing to leave the nest, like his sisters before him.  On the drive back, I pull my rosary from my purse and pray. By this time, the sun is just about to appear, making the sky a beautiful orange-pink on the horizon. I am pondering much as I pray, for the path I am on is once again rocky and uncertain. Such is life, whether we have faith or not. Faith makes it bearable. For the most part, the road home is a straight shot and I can see the ribbon of road laid out before me, narrowing in the distance. The

A Tale of a Tail (or the excitement of the day)

 First of all, I doubt anyone still checks this little old neglected blog, so I am probably talking to myself right now. But if by chance, there is still someone out there, I will tell the tale of the tail I came to tell. As little boys are apt to do, Peter left his rainboots outside on the front porch several days ago. As they do not add to the decor on the porch, I decided to bring them inside this morning and I put them by the back door, where they belong. There they sat, until the mail truck came by and tucked our mail into the box. I may or may not have mentioned that our property is surrounded by a moat during the rainy days. There is no going to collect the mail without rain boots. Seeing how Peter was supposed to be doing his math lesson, of course he eagerly volunteered to go get the mail. He hopped up from the table and went to put on his boots. The scream that came from him made me leave my seat! I thought he had hurt himself. He claimed there was a roach in his boot. I pick