Skip to main content

On Finding Peace




There is an unnamed time between summer and fall. It comes and goes as swiftly as the hummingbirds at my feeder, and is just as wonderful to behold. Mornings have a chill to them, fog delicately shrouds the mountain and river, while sun glows a brilliant orange through the still silhouetted trees. The trees are taking off their lovely green summer frocks and blanketing the ground with discarded, decaying leaves, foretelling the approach of fall in full force.
 
Nature does not fight the changing seasons, unlike me. All the changes in our daily living have left me unsure of my place. During the terribly darkest doubt, I felt I had abandoned all the very things that define my existence. This morning, I stayed for morning circle. There, I witnessed my children participating in a farewell song to one our priests, and peace finally settled upon my heart. I know that God has led my family to this place. This school, this parish are our faith community to lean upon and contribute to for the next year and we are blessed indeed.
 
I wish I could bottle this moment of peace and place it on a shelf, to uncork and breathe in whenever doubt starts creeping back in, as I know it will. Adoration is one place where that peace is restored for me. Another is in nature. This morning was an answer to a prayer that has long been on my lips. 


First day of school at my alma mater. Anna is still at home with me.


One of the best parts of being in Kingsport is having my parents so nearby.
 
 
 
My parents have a boat on the lake. Taking advantage of one of the last  sunny, summer days.






Spending time in nature is such a balm for my soul. God's amazing handiwork abounds.





Capturing a hummingbird in flight is pretty nigh impossible.


Another change for us, a kitten! Lulu is a sweet little cat.


Celebrating Grams' 106th birthday.



And Therese's 7th.


Some things stay the same even among all the changes...coffee and knitting.


Comments

  1. So lovely. So glad you are in such a great place of peace and rest. You've earned it, US Military Wife-haha! But truthfully it's just a gift from God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Great pictures! No, I'm not crying. There's a hippo in my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So grateful to have you back writing your reflections. We have and continue to miss the 'old' days of Friday night movie night (and everything else) and all that that has meant and continues to mean to each of us. You are so right about moving forward. We must do it but we are always able to bring the best of the past with us too. Love you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Paris

With our backpacks repacked for the next leg of our adventure, I awoke in the wee hours of the morning to make sure we were ready. We walked from our house down to the train station, stopping at the bakery for breakfast. Tony was able to join us just for the day, but I am so glad he was with us for even a short time. Upon arriving, we navigated to our flat, waited for the owners and checked in. It was in a very old building, the wooden steps creaked and groaned under our feet as we climbed to the third floor. It was definitely a quaint flat, harkening back to a much earlier era. We then headed out to meet my sister and her family at the Louvre. We said goodbye to Tony and went to find dinner and strolled past the Eiffel Tower. Then back to the flat to get some sleep. Our second day started out a little rough. I could not get the wifi to work, nor would my phone work. I decided to shower and try to not stress. I went to plug in the hair dryer that was at the flat, only to discover...

Rome!

We went to Rome! I realize I never finished blogging about our trip to the Italian Riviera and now I want to write down all that we saw in Rome. Maybe by writing about our trip from the end to the beginning, I could eventually make it all the way back to our other trip to Italy, along with our weekend in Garmisch that was in between. Probably not, but a girl has to remain optimistic, right? My sister and her family planned a European trip and we joined up with them in Rome. Tony could not come along because he had to be in Poland for work. When I write things like that, it still seems so weird. Thanks to super cheap airfare (around $40 per person round trip), and splitting the cost of an apartment with my sister's family, the trip was fairly reasonable, cost wise. Also, our apartment was restocked by the housekeeping service each morning with juice, yogurt, bread, cereal and milk. The night before we left, I was a bundle of nerves and was unable to sleep. I had ne...

The Door Table

Once there was a store in Georgia. It is no more, but how I wish it was. I likened going in there to treasure hunting. One never knew what was going to be in there, and you had to dig through and wade through all the "other people's treasures" to find your own. I once found a set of blue and white teacups and saucers from England. I found lace handkerchiefs, a rocking chair, and an end table. But by far the best find was my kitchen table. I had stopped by one day while the kids were taking horseback lessons and the then little ones were asleep. The store was not open, but I went up to the window to see if anything new was there. And it was there. The table. And six chairs too! We were in need of a bigger table with Jack on the way. My mom had offered to give us her old one, which I was going to accept if I didn't find something I liked better. I didn't want anyone else to even see the table because I knew it was supposed to be ours, but one can never tell abo...