Skip to main content

The spirit is willing but...

Oh this Lent. I know exactly what God wanted me to work on and I failed. Failed miserably. Was it pregnancy hormones or was it Jesus' adversary who kept poking at me, prodding me, till I could take it no more?

Was it that I really didn't turn to God when the going got tough? Probably. When will I learn where to put my faith and hope?

And yet, there might be hope for me. Last night, during Holy Thursday Mass, I heard a voice, that quiet voice that my heart has been tuning out, say ever so gently, "Won't you come spend an hour with me after the kids are in bed?" "Bring your husband with you that you may spend that hour with me together." So after we got home and put the kids to bed, I sat there thinking about that voice. It was so cold outside. The Church was a 20 minute drive away. Again. My eyelids were already drooping and my body ached with tired from a long day. So I asked my husband, "Do you want to go?" He looked so tired too. But he gave a sigh and got up off the couch. And I did too. And we went to sit with Jesus.

There, in that small room, with all the candles, and the quiet, I felt His Grace renew my resolve and strength to continue this thing that God wants of me. Oh, I am sure that once back in the trenches, I will find it hard, no, impossible some days. But for now, I will dust myself off, stand back up, and try again. There is so much to gain and everything to lose.

Comments

  1. How beautiful...I love how Jesus is waiting for you and you came!

    He called and you answered.

    God bless you this Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Listening to that still small voice...that is the challenge and blessing of life. Thanks for your inspiring story.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Paris

With our backpacks repacked for the next leg of our adventure, I awoke in the wee hours of the morning to make sure we were ready. We walked from our house down to the train station, stopping at the bakery for breakfast. Tony was able to join us just for the day, but I am so glad he was with us for even a short time. Upon arriving, we navigated to our flat, waited for the owners and checked in. It was in a very old building, the wooden steps creaked and groaned under our feet as we climbed to the third floor. It was definitely a quaint flat, harkening back to a much earlier era. We then headed out to meet my sister and her family at the Louvre. We said goodbye to Tony and went to find dinner and strolled past the Eiffel Tower. Then back to the flat to get some sleep. Our second day started out a little rough. I could not get the wifi to work, nor would my phone work. I decided to shower and try to not stress. I went to plug in the hair dryer that was at the flat, only to discover...

Rome!

We went to Rome! I realize I never finished blogging about our trip to the Italian Riviera and now I want to write down all that we saw in Rome. Maybe by writing about our trip from the end to the beginning, I could eventually make it all the way back to our other trip to Italy, along with our weekend in Garmisch that was in between. Probably not, but a girl has to remain optimistic, right? My sister and her family planned a European trip and we joined up with them in Rome. Tony could not come along because he had to be in Poland for work. When I write things like that, it still seems so weird. Thanks to super cheap airfare (around $40 per person round trip), and splitting the cost of an apartment with my sister's family, the trip was fairly reasonable, cost wise. Also, our apartment was restocked by the housekeeping service each morning with juice, yogurt, bread, cereal and milk. The night before we left, I was a bundle of nerves and was unable to sleep. I had ne...

The Door Table

Once there was a store in Georgia. It is no more, but how I wish it was. I likened going in there to treasure hunting. One never knew what was going to be in there, and you had to dig through and wade through all the "other people's treasures" to find your own. I once found a set of blue and white teacups and saucers from England. I found lace handkerchiefs, a rocking chair, and an end table. But by far the best find was my kitchen table. I had stopped by one day while the kids were taking horseback lessons and the then little ones were asleep. The store was not open, but I went up to the window to see if anything new was there. And it was there. The table. And six chairs too! We were in need of a bigger table with Jack on the way. My mom had offered to give us her old one, which I was going to accept if I didn't find something I liked better. I didn't want anyone else to even see the table because I knew it was supposed to be ours, but one can never tell abo...