Sunday, December 9, 2012

Young Whippersnapper

Before the rest of the house was stirring, Peter and I were sitting together when we heard sleepy footsteps on the stairs. Anna came padding into the room, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. Groggily, she asked, "Mom? Tell me more about your gumball machine." Wondering if she had had a funny dream, I asked her what she was talking about, for I did not have a clue. She continued, "You know, the kind you and dad had when you were young." No, in fact, I do not know, I am thinking. I was trying hard to figure out what she was talking about. I asked her when she had heard about my gumball machine. "We were walking back from the park at Grandma's house, and you were talking about the game you and dad used to play." Suddenly, I knew! I told her, "Pinball. Not gumball! Dad and I used to play pinball machines." Sheesh! The youngsters these days!

3 comments:

  1. "...while visions of gumballs danc'd in her head."
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine always want to hear about Atari and Pong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look at my grandchildren and feel sorry for them that their lives are based on screens. How much they have all missed. Progress ain't always progress!

    ReplyDelete