Skip to main content

December days

The patter of feet on the stairs roused me from my happy sleeping state. Opening one eye ever so slightly, I ascertained that it was too early for the festivities to begin. It was precisely 5:52 in the a.m. Without opening the other eye, I asked how many little people happened to be in my bedroom at such an hour. With excitement in her voice, Anna answered, "Three". Only Peter was still asleep. Informing them we would not begin opening gifts until they were all awake, I pulled the covers over my head, snuggled down into the bed and was just about to return to dreamland when they burst back in with one cranky boy and announced they were ready to open presents. That was at 5:58. By 7:15, the living room had gone from picturesque to destroyed, the kids were trying out all the new toys and I was in the kitchen making coffee and breakfast.

Before the onslaught of present opening began. Notice the blackness still outside the window. Makes for very grainy pictures and very groggy parents.

His was an antique Christmas. Almost all of his gifts were found at the flohmarkt. The typewriter actually still works that he received. Every page begins with the heading "Jack A Reosti 2015". The pecking on the keys, the ding at the end of a line, and the overuse of the space bar is all I hear now.

What a fun game! She also has been scootering around everywhere, thanks to her aunt.

This kid was extremely grateful for all her gifts, considering her main present is still lost is transit somewhere.

Ahoy, mateys! With this here spy glass and the treasure map that accompanied his new pirate outfit, he is ready to seek some treasures on the high seas.




Christmas day was rainy and gray. Yesterday and today were unseasonably warm and sunny. We took advantage of the rare weather and went exploring a little in our new village. We found the playground yesterday. It is a gem of a playground and seeing the train roll into the station every 30 minutes made it even better for my boys. Today, we crossed the tracks and headed uphill to find the little hut we can see on the mountain from our backyard. It was a lovely hike and the view of our village from atop the mountain was amazing. And now, if you will excuse me, I must go and play Ticket to Ride with my family.

We cross over a footbridge on the way to the park. It reminds me the little creek in Ft. Ashby, WV, where I spent time every summer throughout my childhood.

Flowers blooming in December! Happy me!

This is far and away the best version of a see-saw I have ever had the pleasure of riding. We want one in our backyard.

Jack and Therese almost make a good counterweight for me. Anna and Therese were a slightly better match.

"Higher! Higher!"

I am thinking not many people use this bench on the hiking trail.

"How much farther, Mama?"

a lovely, sunny, Sunday afternoon



Our village. You can see our old village in the distance directly behind it.



Comments

  1. Merry Christmas, Jenny! For some reason your blog hasn't updated in my sidebar. It looks like you had a happy, though early, day. I hope you got a nap! May your season be blessed. Happy Feast of the Holy Family!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Door Table

Once there was a store in Georgia. It is no more, but how I wish it was. I likened going in there to treasure hunting. One never knew what was going to be in there, and you had to dig through and wade through all the "other people's treasures" to find your own. I once found a set of blue and white teacups and saucers from England. I found lace handkerchiefs, a rocking chair, and an end table. But by far the best find was my kitchen table. I had stopped by one day while the kids were taking horseback lessons and the then little ones were asleep. The store was not open, but I went up to the window to see if anything new was there. And it was there. The table. And six chairs too! We were in need of a bigger table with Jack on the way. My mom had offered to give us her old one, which I was going to accept if I didn't find something I liked better. I didn't want anyone else to even see the table because I knew it was supposed to be ours, but one can never tell abo

Fog and faith

 I stepped out into the coolness of the November morning to start the car and defog the windows, preparing to take Jack to school. Daylight had yet to appear. As we drove the many miles, the sky lightened, and we could see the mist hanging out just above the grass. We usually listen to a story together on our drive, adding commentary, exchanging a knowing glance or a shocked expression as the twists and turns unfold. I relish this time with Jack. I know that all too soon he will be preparing to leave the nest, like his sisters before him.  On the drive back, I pull my rosary from my purse and pray. By this time, the sun is just about to appear, making the sky a beautiful orange-pink on the horizon. I am pondering much as I pray, for the path I am on is once again rocky and uncertain. Such is life, whether we have faith or not. Faith makes it bearable. For the most part, the road home is a straight shot and I can see the ribbon of road laid out before me, narrowing in the distance. The

A Tale of a Tail (or the excitement of the day)

 First of all, I doubt anyone still checks this little old neglected blog, so I am probably talking to myself right now. But if by chance, there is still someone out there, I will tell the tale of the tail I came to tell. As little boys are apt to do, Peter left his rainboots outside on the front porch several days ago. As they do not add to the decor on the porch, I decided to bring them inside this morning and I put them by the back door, where they belong. There they sat, until the mail truck came by and tucked our mail into the box. I may or may not have mentioned that our property is surrounded by a moat during the rainy days. There is no going to collect the mail without rain boots. Seeing how Peter was supposed to be doing his math lesson, of course he eagerly volunteered to go get the mail. He hopped up from the table and went to put on his boots. The scream that came from him made me leave my seat! I thought he had hurt himself. He claimed there was a roach in his boot. I pick