Skip to main content

View From the Sink

After noticing that about half of the blogs I enjoy reading had posts of their sinks today, I decided to jump in now that the kids are settled in for the night. To see what I am talking about, go over here.

So many things drew us to this house. The kitchen was not one of them. You would think that would be important, since that is where I spend the majority of my day. If not for the half wall between the kitchen and the den, it would be a galley kitchen. But from my dish-washing spot, I can see my family and I do appreciate that.

Originally, there was a bar that extended into the den and took up an extra foot of space. We removed that and put in a simple piece of wood to cap off the wall. To me, it really made the space much more visually appealing.

I do like order in my kitchen. The dishwasher is to the left of the sink. All dirty dishes are stacked just above the dishwasher. They are rinsed and loaded and then the hand-washed items are cleaned and put in the right side of the sink to dry. To the right of the sink are the cabinets that hold the dishes, so you can quickly put everything away.

As for pretty things, I work best in an uncluttered area. To me, pretty is clean lines. One of my friends once called my decorating style minimalistic. I'd say that is an accurate assessment. She also taught me the beauty of cleaning up as I cook. I could actually write a separate post of all the things she taught me!


Only a few things are allowed to reside on my kitchen ledge. This poor plant is one of them. I just can't seem to water it the correct amount. Every time my mother visits, she gets my house plants looking wonderful. She hasn't been here in a couple of months and my plants are proof of that! But I do like having that plant there. It was given to us at Ben's funeral and it reminds me not only of him, but also the dear friend that gave it to us. Beside it is one of my favorite pictures of the first three kiddos.


After being in this house for just over a year, my little kitchen has grown on me. It is cozy, yet efficient. It is where I provide for my family their nourishment for their bodies. It is where we gather together for food, and family games, and quiet conversations. It is in the center of the house, just as the heart of a home should be.

Comments

  1. I love it so neat and tidy. I also like that you can see your family while doing dishes. You could actually have a conversation while having eye contact while working in the kitchen. I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you women and your beautiful, tidy sinks!!! I have to to do something about mine. My kitchen is so overcrowded; I think I'm going to have to start a kitchen counter depopulation mission. My kingdom for a dishwasher!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a very nice sink space. Being a simple person, I like uncluttered spaces as well. I love your view -- the people you love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved seeing your kitchen sink! It's my favorite kind--one where you can stay connected to people as you work. With little ones, most of your day is spent in the kitchen, so it's nice that you aren't locked away in there. I have had huge kitchens and little kitchens, and I have to say I much prefer the little ones. Fewer steps, easier to cook when all you have to do is pivot between sink and stove, much easier to clean up as well. Looks like you've got a fine place to do all that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Door Table

Once there was a store in Georgia. It is no more, but how I wish it was. I likened going in there to treasure hunting. One never knew what was going to be in there, and you had to dig through and wade through all the "other people's treasures" to find your own. I once found a set of blue and white teacups and saucers from England. I found lace handkerchiefs, a rocking chair, and an end table. But by far the best find was my kitchen table. I had stopped by one day while the kids were taking horseback lessons and the then little ones were asleep. The store was not open, but I went up to the window to see if anything new was there. And it was there. The table. And six chairs too! We were in need of a bigger table with Jack on the way. My mom had offered to give us her old one, which I was going to accept if I didn't find something I liked better. I didn't want anyone else to even see the table because I knew it was supposed to be ours, but one can never tell abo

Fog and faith

 I stepped out into the coolness of the November morning to start the car and defog the windows, preparing to take Jack to school. Daylight had yet to appear. As we drove the many miles, the sky lightened, and we could see the mist hanging out just above the grass. We usually listen to a story together on our drive, adding commentary, exchanging a knowing glance or a shocked expression as the twists and turns unfold. I relish this time with Jack. I know that all too soon he will be preparing to leave the nest, like his sisters before him.  On the drive back, I pull my rosary from my purse and pray. By this time, the sun is just about to appear, making the sky a beautiful orange-pink on the horizon. I am pondering much as I pray, for the path I am on is once again rocky and uncertain. Such is life, whether we have faith or not. Faith makes it bearable. For the most part, the road home is a straight shot and I can see the ribbon of road laid out before me, narrowing in the distance. The

A Tale of a Tail (or the excitement of the day)

 First of all, I doubt anyone still checks this little old neglected blog, so I am probably talking to myself right now. But if by chance, there is still someone out there, I will tell the tale of the tail I came to tell. As little boys are apt to do, Peter left his rainboots outside on the front porch several days ago. As they do not add to the decor on the porch, I decided to bring them inside this morning and I put them by the back door, where they belong. There they sat, until the mail truck came by and tucked our mail into the box. I may or may not have mentioned that our property is surrounded by a moat during the rainy days. There is no going to collect the mail without rain boots. Seeing how Peter was supposed to be doing his math lesson, of course he eagerly volunteered to go get the mail. He hopped up from the table and went to put on his boots. The scream that came from him made me leave my seat! I thought he had hurt himself. He claimed there was a roach in his boot. I pick